Monday, April 25, 2011

DSI 2011, Slovenia - recap



It's been already a few days after my return from DSI 2011, the leading independent Informatics Conference in Slovenia (Dnevi Slovenske Informatike), where I was invited to keynote on the subject of Java EE in the Cloud.

I've made an effort to emphasize the importance of PaaS, give examples of existing Java PaaS offerings and then move on to describe the current status of Java EE with regards to the cloud and where things are going with Java EE7. I've completed the presentation by referring to what we are working on at JBoss/Red Hat in order to make JBoss AS more appealing to cloud users, especially with the ongoing work on AS7.


Although Java EE provides an excellent base for cloud applications and you can use Java EE in the cloud *now* there is certainly a lot more work required to provide you with truly portable options and that makes the work on Java EE 7 all the more relevant.

You can find my slides here.

It was also very interesting to listen to the presentations of the other two keynote speakers, Dalibor Topic from Oracle on The Future of Java and Karl Davies-Barrett from Microsoft on Windows Azure.

I would like to thank Professor Dr. Matjaz Juric from the University of Ljubljana for the invitation and the OpenBlend guys and other fellow JBossians for making my stay all the more pleasant and exciting, especially as we tried to catch my return flight 20' before take-off!

Looking forward to the next opportunity to visit beautiful Slovenia!

/Dimitris

No comments: