Sunday, February 15, 2009

Change of Leadership for JBoss AS

After almost three years in the leadership of the JBoss Application Server project it is time for me to pass on the torch to someone else. JBoss AS 5.0.1.GA (due in a few days) will be my last release as Project Lead of JBoss AS.

Jason Greene, (former) Lead of POJO Cache and JBoss/Red Hat representative on the Java EE 6 expert group will take on the JBoss AS Project Lead role. Jason is really the man for the job as he has worked in many different areas of the server (clustering, web services, security) and he has a clear view of where things are going in the Java EE space. AS5 makes a great base to start building upon and I'm confident that Jason will make the best use of it while bringing fresh new ideas into the project.

As for me, I am not going anywhere far. I am assuming managerial responsibility for the Application Server group while helping Jason coordinate the development effort. Time permitting, I'll even try to do some development work, as I don't mean to loose my commit rights :)

Looking back to those past releases that are now widely used in production and for which I was responsible (AS 4.2 series & EAP, AS5, even the older 3.2.8 and 4.0.5 releases) I can only feel proud for having been part of this and for having worked with such a talented group of people.

Throughout the years I came to know that JBoss AS is a big project for any single person to deal with (well, maybe not for Scott Stark, but he counts for 5 people) so I'm confident that this new setup will be the most beneficial for the project and the community around it.

I wish Jason the best of luck in his new quest. It's going to be a fun ride.

Cheers
/Dimitris

7 comments:

past said...

Congratulations for the promotion! Next time we meet, I'll ask for your first-hand experiences on managerial vs. development work.

Dimitris Andreadis said...

@past - Merci! The fight between the "good" and the "evil" has always been of interest to me...

Ales Justin said...

Commit rights?
Afaik helpdesk has forbidden commits on headers.
;-)

Dimitris Andreadis said...

@Ales - I need to able to commit to rollback your changes ;-)

Ales Justin said...

I'm not changing any headers, so I don't know which changes you're talking about. ;-)

Giorgos Nikoloudis said...

Dimitris, well don, is good to hear that people with your competent and talent are supporting our business.

George Nikoloudis (ex-Intracom BCCS)
Ericsson Hellas

Πέτρος said...

Keep up your excellent work Dimitris! Καλή συνέχεια!